Cat scratching posts or pads are just another piece of furniture, not for you or your family members, but for your little kittens and cats. This small and handy item can be placed in numerous places within your house, and it solves many cat owners' problems.
For example, kittens tend to scratch their body on a rough surface, which makes it hectic for the cat parents to clean their fur later. Scratching pads for your feline friend can save you from unnecessary headaches while letting most cats stay healthy and happy.
There are different reasons attached to cats and their scratching behavior. Some of the reasons are discussed below:
- A unique smell is present in cats' claws and paws. They rub their feet on different objects and materials to mark their territory.
- Cats tend to do vigorous scratching and stretching to release happy hormones, which makes them happy. It is also healthy for their body and relieves their stress.
- The visible mark of their territory prevents other pets from invading their place and privacy.
- The underneath their claws come off while scratching, which is a part of their hygiene.
How We've Selected the Best Scratch Pad for Cats
Searching for the right type and kind of cat scratching post or pad may be a little painstaking for pet parents. You likely end up purchasing different types of cat-scratching posts, but your cat still ignores them. Pet owners have noticed that it gets difficult for them to make their cats scratch on cat scratchers rather than on couches. One prevailing issue was that pet owners were going with what looked appealing, which turned out useless to cats. You need to buy the type of cat scratching post highly suitable for your cat or kittens and the kitty's claws.
A little research and knowledge are required to pick the best cat scratching pad for your hind legs buddy, and we did that extensive research and got some useful insights.
We have picked the top six popular cat scratchers, which are also cost-effective and known to be durable scratchers. We also wanted to provide various scratchers that meet different needs. All the best available scratching surfaces are mentioned below.
Top 6 Scratch Pads for Cats
Best Scratching Mat
This natural sisal cat scratching mat is safe and non-toxic, making it environmentally and cat-friendly. It has been made without any harsh oils, chemicals, or other substances that may pose a risk to your cat or the environment.
This scratcher mat is versatile and can be used as a cat scratch pad, play mat, sleeping mat, litter mat, or even a door mat.
It features a thick, anti-skid design with latex at the bottom to prevent sliding and increase stability.
Using this mat can satisfy your cats' love for carpets and help deter them from scratching furniture or other surfaces. It can also help maintain their claws and keep them busy.
The product comes with a satisfaction guarantee. Suppose you have any dissatisfaction with the product within 30 days of purchase. In that case, you can contact the seller through Amazon, and they will solve the problem for you within 48 hours. The seller's ultimate goal is your satisfaction.
What Stands Out
- Safe and non-toxic for cats and the environment
- Versatile usage as a scratch pad, play mat, sleeping mat, litter mat, or door mat
- Thick and anti-skid design with latex at the bottom to prevent sliding and increase stability
What to Keep in Mind
- Some cats may not take an interest in a mat. If this happens, you could always try a little cat nip!
Best Scratch Pads with a Box
The cat scratching pad and box is a premium product made from 100% eco-friendly recycled corrugated cardboard and is held together using non-toxic glue. This makes it perfectly safe for cats to use, and no harmful materials are present.
Additionally, the scratching pad features a two-sided design with higher-density hardened corrugated cardboard, providing different touching experiences for cats. This design makes it irresistible to cats and increases its durability by 50% compared to normal scratching pads. The reversible feature further prolongs the pad's life, making it a great value for cat owners.
With a durable scratcher box and four flippable cat scratching pads included, this product is a must-have for cat owners who want to train their furry friends to stay away from furniture and carpets.
What Stands Out
- Made from 100% eco-friendly recycled corrugated cardboard with non-toxic glue, making it safe and healthy for cats
- Two-sided design with higher density hardened corrugated cardboard, making it more durable and irresistible to cats
- Great value as it includes a durable scratcher box and four flippable cat scratching pads, making it a must-have for cat owners who want to train their furry friends to stay away from furniture and carpets.
What to Keep in Mind
- Scratcher pads may shed easily depending on your cat, but you can always buy replacement pads if this happens!
Best for Lounging and Most Popular
Many cat-scratching posts are made up of natural and durable corrugated cardboard. The best cat scratcher's rough surface feels good on cats' claws and paws. Cardboard naturally attracts cats, and cats prefer this material as a scratching post. However, you may need to test with a few different varieties of scratching pads to find what your cat prefers. The PetFusion Lounger is made from durable, high-quality cardboard and non-toxic adhesive. It may even successfully stop cats from scratching your furniture, especially sofas.
Large and adult cats will love scratching their backs and taking a long stretch. However, only a long and sturdy cat scratching pad is suitable for large cats, which is what PetFusion provides!
Many reviewers around the world have favorably reviewed this Petfusion scratcher.
This scratcher is long enough for large cats to stretch on. Buyers have also recommended this amazing product if you have multiple cats. This cat scratching post is better than most cardboard scratchers and gives great value for money.
What Stands Out
- Scratching surface is a durable scratcher and heavy-duty. It even stays firm like a wooden cat scratcher.
- It is perfect for large cats.
- This will look exactly like a part of your furniture and become an essential part of your lounge.
What to Keep in Mind
- Some cats may not be able to fit in between the lounger.
Best Scratching Post
If you're looking for a scratching post, this is the best cat scratching post. Smartcat's ultimate scratching post is a cat tree for cats and kittens. It lets them scratch freely and fully on the post. Only the finest components are used to create the Ultimate Cat Scratcher, ensuring that the scratching post lasts many years while still looking great.
For added durability, the redesigned base includes two sections. Smartcat's ultimate scratching post is made up of woven sisal scratching materials. It is fibrous and durable and naturally makes cats scratch on it.
Some buyers have said the smart cat scratcher does not wear out or shred even after using it for two years straight. This is one of the very few cat scratchers recommended by experts. Its natural fibrous material does not shred off like a carpet and stays clean. Thus, the cat scratching post is stable and durable and can easily hold up to 16 pounds.
What Stands Out
- The rope is made of woven sisal.
- It is a cat tree and can be moved around the house.
- Multiple cats can use this at a time.
What to Keep in Mind
- Smartcat ultimate scratching post is a bit pricey and turns out to be heavy on the pocket compared to others.
- The opening of this cat scratching post has an odd chemical smell.
Best Wall-Mounted Scratch Pad
Your kittens will learn to use this wall-mounted scratch lounge pad once you train them. Way Basics cat scratching pad has been tested in households of many kittens, and it turned out to be one of the best choices as kittens love to play together on the slope of the scratcher.
Scratching and stretching are also essential parts of cats' lives as they live healthily by doing so. The unique position of this cat pad is also fascinating for the cats, who love to play on it. Way Basics scratching post comprises recycled, non-toxic, safe, and environmentally friendly cardboard.
These scratching posts are pocket friendly and come in different colors and shades. It is also very light-weighted and comes with easy installation.
What Stands Out
- Provides great value for money and will save your furniture twice as much as an average cat scratching post.
- It comes with an easy installation package and can accommodate all sizes of cats. It is also movable and can be moved to different house parts.
- It comprises non-toxic, safe, and eco-friendly materials, making it non-hazardous.
What to Keep in Mind
- You may need to buy better adhesive for it to stay on the wall.
Best Scratching Toy
Kittens can be a source of entertainment to humans, but at the same time, everything around them becomes their toys, be it a cord, utensil, or any other object. This two-in-one cat scratching toy by Bergan has a corrugated cardboard scratching center and a rolling ball that wraps around to protect your belongings from being destroyed. The began turbo cat scratchers are heavy-duty and portable. They can be moved to different places and bear the kittens' weight due to their sturdiness.
Kittens at your home will find it fascinating as it has cardboard in the center, which gives them a perfect surface for scratching. The cardboard has a toy ball around it to ensure that your kitten never gets bored of this unique scratching post. This combination will let them play with the ball and scratch/stretch it. Kittens will forget all about destroying the furniture, especially the lounge couches.
This scratch pad toy is suitable for all sorts and types of kittens. It is often used indoors. The Bergan turbo scratching post allows your kittens to play for longer hours and keep them occupied. It has an amazing build quality and will last you for a couple of years.
What Stands Out
- Bergan turbo cat scratcher has superior durability and remained one of the best choices of customers as compared to different top brands.
- It provides safe play to kittens with no sharp edges to borders. It also keeps both the young and older cats engaged.
- It is less expensive on pockets and comes with corrugated cardboard that lasts long.
- The scratch pad can be replaced.
What to Keep in Mind
- Some buyers say older cats are less interested than younger cats in Bergan turbo cat scratchers.
Why do you need the best cat-scratching pads?
Cats require scratching to maintain the sharpness of their claws and to stretch and exercise their muscles. They tend to do so also to mark their territory. Your carpets, furniture, and wallpaper may get damaged if you do not offer a suitable location for scratching your feline friend. As soon as most cats find suitable scratching surfaces, they will always return to them, and the best solution is to provide them with a cat scratcher.
Scratching posts are helpful for maintaining your home, especially if yours is a multiple-cat household. The most durable cat scratcher comes in a variety of sizes and forms. Cat scratching posts include; a cat bed, durable sisal, soft carpet, dangling toys, horizontal scratchers, and cat toys. A good cat scratching post is portable and can be mounted or fixed on a wall as a vertical scratching post.
Scratching posts are beneficial for all sizes and types of cats. Be it larger, indoor, adult, or smaller cats. All cats prefer having some scratching material where they can play too. An ultimate scratching post makes it possible. A scratching post also helps the cat adapt to a new setting.
A cherry on top could be having some toys attached, hanging with vertical scratchers, making them focused and engaged for longer. If you have more than one cat, a cat scratching post could be the place where your kittens meet. Scratching is also healthy for cats as it relieves stress and releases happy hormones. Finally, a scratching surface helps both kittens' and kitty's paws be sharp and hygienic.
Being pet parents, you must have noticed that cats love scratching themselves on rough surfaces or objects. Cats love to scratch on the lounge, and to save your furniture; you have to cover up the items in the lounge. This happens if a cat does not have a scratching pad and a cat bed.
An important note:
Putting and placing scratch pads in your house will not stop your cats from rubbing and scratching themselves on furniture. You will have to train them and direct their way to cat-scratching posts so that a cat scratches on them. Initially, you may have to put a treat on it or make it look fancy by putting dangling toys to fascinate them.
What should be considered for cat scratching posts?
When you shop for a cat scratcher, you will find multiple options. Some might look pleasant to human eyes, but those may not be ideal for cats. Cats prefer a sturdy and solid material that removes the layer of their claws and dirt on their skin. This helps cats mark their territory and is also a form of a game for them. Cats love to scratch off their bodies and skin. The sturdy vertical scratching posts help cats to expand a few inches tall.
Do not buy cat scratchers that are made up of carpet material. Instead, use sisal scratching posts made from sisal fabric or sisal rope. It is important because when you place scratching posts in your house, you must convince your cat to use the cat scratcher, not the carpet on the floor.
Also, the carpet is not the most suitable surface for cats to rub. The carpet may get looped on cats' claws, which can be painful for kittens. The best material is sisal rope or fabric. It provides good resistance and texture to the kitty's claws and paws.
The second best material after sisal for a cat scratcher is corrugated cardboard. Cardboard scratchers are often available as flat or angled scratchers, and some consider them one of the best cat scratching posts.
Types of Scratching Posts
- Scratching Towers (Horizontal and Vertical): Before buying a cat scratching post, you must figure out what your cat likes. Some cats love to stretch on vertical surfaces, while others love to lie down on flat surfaces, in which case they prefer horizontal cat scratching posts.
- Vertical cat scratchers come in different forms; some can be wall-mounted or hung on the wall. Another scratching post that has a firm base can be put anywhere.
- Sisal Rope Cat Scratching Post: Sisal rope cat scratching post is durable and lasts longer than others. Sisal rope is a very tough material that does not shred easily.
- Corrugated Cardboard Scratchers: Cardboard scratching surfaces are comparatively new to the market of cat scratching posts or scratching surfaces. They are also likely cheaper and are available on horizontal flat surfaces. The corrugated cardboard can be easily replaced. One thing to consider before picking up this option is that you may find pieces of cardboard everywhere around your home.
How to buy the best cat-scratching posts?
When seeking options for a cat scratching post, consider having more than one variety at home. A bored cat is bad news for your household, so keeping them entertained is in your best interest. Look for options for different styles of scratching posts, from horizontal to vertical. Another thing to remember is to make sure the post is sturdy enough for cats to scratch sufficiently, as they require resistance. A cat scratcher should also be extremely durable. If it is a standing cat scratcher, it better be sturdy and can take a heavy launch of the cat without losing its grip on the floor surface.
The placement of the cat scratching pad is vital, so choose one which can be placed in prominent places. Placing the cat scratcher in prominent areas of your house is a great idea. One of these places could be a window. It would allow your cat to stretch, scratch, climb, and take a view of the street or road. Another place could be where the cat loves to sleep so that it is easier for them to stretch and scratch before and after sleeping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are scratch pads good for cats?
Yes, scratch pads are good for cats as they help maintain their claws and provide an appropriate outlet for them to scratch, reducing the likelihood of destructive behavior on furniture or carpets.
What is the best material for a cat scratcher?
Sisal rope, sisal fabric, and cardboard are all excellent materials for a cat scratcher. Sisal is a durable natural fiber that is rough and textured, making it an ideal material for cats to scratch on. It also allows them to exercise their natural scratching instincts and helps to maintain their claws. Additionally, sisal is a non-toxic and eco-friendly material, which is safe for cats to use and better for the environment.
Corrugated cardboard is durable and has a rough texture that is perfect for cats to scratch on. It also allows cats to exercise their natural scratching instincts and helps to maintain their claws. Additionally, cardboard scratchers are often inexpensive and can be easily replaced when worn out.
What cat scratcher will cats actually use?
Cats are more likely to use a scratcher that meets their natural scratching needs and preferences, such as those made from sisal rope or fabric and corrugated cardboard. The scratcher should also be stable, securely anchored, and placed in a location where the cat spends a lot of time or likes to scratch.
What Option of Scratch Pad for Cats is Best for You?
We all know that cats need to have their claws groomed, and respecting that primal instinct of theirs by allowing them a safe outlet for scratching, can not only keep your furniture safe from the master scratcher but ultimately save you time and money.
By finding a reliable scratch pad for cats, you'll be giving your furry friend something to love that is sure to last for years to come.
Regardless of which one you choose in the end, just remember it is all about delivering understated elegance and creating harmony between you and your cat.
Thanks for reading!
3. PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
4. Smartcat Ultimate Scratching Post
5. Way Basics Wall Mounted Scratch Pad